Thailand's police force is in a battle to beat the bulge.
It might not be the most rigorous training but these officers are trying their hardest.
The fitness programme in Bangkok includes a daily workout and healthy eating.
They have an extra incentive: a prize worth $160 is up for grabs for the officer who loses the most weight.
Ключевые слова (определение на английском языке)
to beat the bulge – to lose weight (especially around the stomach area)
rigorous – thorough and strict
workout – a session of physical exercise
incentive – something to encourage someone to do something
up for grabs – available for anyone to win
Вставьте слова в нужном месте (в правильной форме):
a) to beat the bulge
e) up for grab
1. In his younger days, close associates often complained of the president's schedule, which began with a ___ in the gym or a game of squash.
2. A Subway operator, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT), is marking the anniversary with giveaways. One year's free Subway travel will be ___, along with free ticket offers for 115 other Subway users.
3. The army, the police, local politicians and the insurgents are all believed to make significant money from the rampant smuggling of everything from drugs, to people, to diesel fuel, in this border region. There seems little ___ to risk bold initiatives that might end the fighting.
4. ___ is for some a full-time preoccupation. The quest to reach the desired size and shape can seem never-ending. There are all manner of diets, exercises creams and massages on offer to try to make the job easier.
5. Recruits needed to pass a __ six-week training course before they could wear the coveted Green Beret.
2) e (dens)
4) a (beating the bulge)